Originally built in 1928 in Greenville, North Carolina, the Eppes Recreation Center was developed on the former campus of the C.M. Eppes High School. The school was named after Professor Charles Montgomery Eppes, an African American educational leader who served as a teacher and administrator at the school for over 40 years. His work not only expanded educational opportunities for African Americans but also increased the number of students and teachers in Greenville.
HH Architecture completed a 4,500 square foot interior renovation to the Eppes Recreation Center to breathe new life into the well-loved spaces utilized by the community and staff. Improvements to the facility also include a 1,750 square foot addition for an enhanced front entrance and lobby, along with updates to the Police Athletic League after-school rooms, the addition of a teen lounge, and upgrades to the C.M. Eppes Cultural and Heritage Center.
The renovation not only preserves the legacy of the building’s history but creates an established and well-known recreation destination for the City of Greenville.
Photography – Susan Holt Photography